The whole purpose of us starting to write about Le Marche was to make our beautiful region famous among a wider audience. Apparently, things are starting to change. On October 22nd, the Australian worldwide famous travel guide Lonely Planet has published the “Top 20 regions in the world to visit in 2020 ” and it ranked Le Marche as number 2!
I could not believe it, when I saw it. Being among other world region is sure an important achievement, and I can’t wait to welcome curious and responsible tourists eager to discover it all. The reasons for Le Marche to be elected as number two are as follows (quoted from Lonely Planet website: www.lonelyplanet.com ) : “[…] It can do higgledy-piggledy hilltop towns, gloriously gluttonous food festivals, resplendent Renaissance palaces, winding countryside and inviting beaches with equal panache, but with the added bonus that its attractions are much less well known. In 2020, the spotlight will shine brightly here as Urbino, Le Marche’s most picturesque city, leads the celebrations to mark the 500th anniversary of the death of the great Renaissance painter – and local boy made good – Raphael.
I agree with every before mentioned aspect, but let me give you some “local” top reasons why I think Le Marche is actually number 1 top region in the world 😉
- The food. We have sweets, savoury, home made, traditional recipes that sometime we really don’t want to share. Check it out with Mamma Graziella, for example.
- The genuine lifestyle. We are still very much attached to our traditions and history, may it be connected to the farmers way of living, or the fishermen along the coast, or a craftman working in his workshop.
- The hidden treasures. Everywhere, even in the smallest village, you can find a hidden story, museum, costume, recipe that is as much valuable and precious as many other treasures much more famous.
- The pride in being Marchigiani. I don’t know about other regions, but I feel that we are very bound to our earth and roots, and we don’t waste any occasions to show it everywhere we go.
- The variety. Of what, you can ask. Well, pretty much everything. Variety of colours, dialects, activities, landscapes, festivals.. and I could go on forever. And that’s why our motto is “Italy in one region“.
I don’t know if my reasons are as persuasive as those from the Lonely Planet ranking, but there is only one way to find out..come and visit Le Marche!